Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Why the Fuck am I Writing a Blog?

The purpose of this blog, like that of most people's blogs, is to share my personal views, beliefs, and opinions on matters. I am a strength and conditioning coach in Portland, Oregon. I also teach a vale tudo-mixed martial arts based system of self-defense.

While this blog is intended to focus on those subjects, it will undoubtedly venture into other areas as well...politics, philosophy, interpersonal relations, and much, much, more. My goal is to share, with whomever may find interest in it, my conceptual reality of a post-modern liberal arts education.

To begin with, I believe any author seeks to carry on a conversation with his readers. In order to do so, you need some sort of a frame of reference to know who you're talking to, right?

Right. Of course I'm right. It's my blog, so I'm always right!I am a 33 year old male. As I noted above, I work in the fitness industry. I've lifted weights since I was 18. I grew up in the Ozark Mountains of Arkansas, graduating from Rogers High School in Rogers, Arkansas, in 1994. I immediately enlisted in the U.S. Army, serving with 1st Battalion, 75th Ranger Regiment. (Yes, those were Rangers in Blackhawk Down. No, I do not know Josh Hartnett or Eric Bana!)

I learned a great deal ab0ut life there. I started exercising for real as a Ranger. (High School martial arts hardly count!) I started running. We ran a LOT!!!!! 6-8 miles a day, Monday through Friday. I started lifting weights as a Ranger. I learned to shoot, move, and communicate as a Ranger. Despite my HS martial arts training, I learned to fight as a Ranger. I started training in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu as a Ranger (as you'll see if you read this blog for long, THAT is as important as the weight training and running!).

I learned how to drink and party as a Ranger. I learned how to chase girls, successfully, as a Ranger. I learned how to survive life as a Ranger. Rangers Lead The Way!

I ended up leaving the Rangers because of injuries that wouldn't heal without more rest than I could get in that high-speed unit. I spent some time at the 101st Airborne Division (AASLT), then ended up with the 1/19th Special Forces Group (ABN).

In March of 2001 I ETS'd from the military for the last time. I spent about nine months in Alaska. It sucked. The country was beautiful, but the people were...not so much...

Upon returning CONUS (CONtinental United States), I ended up in Portland, Oregon and working as a personal trainer for two different "Globo-Gyms" and a small personal training facility called EMPower (where I work again now). I had some serious reservations about both of the Globo-Gyms" (24Hour Fitness and Bally's, since I KNOW you're dying to ask!). I ended up giving it all up.

I moved to the desert and became a working ranch cowboy. From Utah and Arizona, to Eastern Oregon, Montana, and Idaho, I worked all over the Intermountain West. Riding horses all day, taking care of cattle. Sounds pretty cool, huh? It was.

Except that, in March of 2009, I realized I weighed 145lbs. The day I ETSd from the Army though, I weighed 210 pounds with 10% bodyfat. Something wasn't right.

What wasn't right was the fact that I was working 16-18 hours a day, six and seven days a week, and eating one small meal a day! So, I returned to Portland and started working out again. Now, I'm back in the fitness industry, working as a strength and conditioning coach and a MMA coach.

I was married once, for two years (although we were separated after the first year). I have been divorced since 2007. I am currently dating a very nice young lady who acts like she actually cares about me instead of just herself. It's refreshing.

In this blog, I will attempt to focus on vale tudo self-protection subjects, as well as the TRUTH of "functional fitness." Good reading and good training!

No comments:

Post a Comment