Sunday, December 13, 2009

My new AR project...

I bought a Bushmaster lower reciever the other day from a friend. It has the original factory-installed lower parts kit installed. Now, I just have to figure out what I'm going to do for the stock and the upper.

So, I've been searching old threads on AR15.com and some other forums to get ideas for what I wanted. In the past, I've always run my M4geries really basic...14.5" barrel with the Phantom suppressor pinned and welded, BUIS on the rear, with the standard fixed front sight group and an ACOG on top if I wanted glass. I've always kept the basic M4-style handguards with a Sure-Fire 6P clamped to the barrel the way we did it back in the day (BITD).

There's so much Gucci shit available for ARs now though, much of it combat-proven for reliability, that I'm gonna trick this one out a little. Since it looks more and more like it may be the last one I'll be able to buy if the powers that be get their way, I want to make it as close to perfect as I can get.

Basic requirements:

5.56mm NATO
14.5" barrel
collapsible stock
railed forend
SF light
BUIS
single point sling

Beyond that, I'm pretty open. I'll share with you what my current thoughts are, as ill-defined as they are.

I'm going with the 14.5" barrel again cause I like it. Period. I know the drawbacks and shit, but I like it, so fuck it.

I want 5.56mmNATO. I've heard the anecdotal stories about BGs not going down when hit, but I've never seen someone take a solid hit from a M4 and NOT go down. It's more a matter of piss-poor training.

I want the collapsible stock for convenience. I am horseback a lot. The shorter I can make my carbine, the easier it is to handle horseback, both from a storage and shooting point of view.

The light and sling should not need explanation.

BUIS are critical. I've never been found of the carrying handle on the M16 family. I can keep the front sight fixed or change it; it doesn't phase me either way. The rear iron will be a fold down though.

I'm thinking of putting optics on this one, but not the ACOG. My first thought was to go with an EOTech or Aimpoint M68CCO. I like the red-dot and I like the 1X concept for CQB. I've also considered the fact that I do a lot of shooting at coyotes that are WAY the fuck out there at the outside reach of the M4 for a point target. A magnified optic would be nice.

My next thought was maybe I could do the 3-Gun thing. A 3X or variable power optic on the top and a small Docter Optic type of thing at an angle. If I'm shooting close enough to use it, chances are a tilt to the side of my rifle probably ain't gonna cause me to miss. I really haven't decided yet though. Feedback and thoughts?

I've thought about the M900 for a SF light/vertical fore-grip (VFG)combination. In the past, I've always just used the mag well for a a VFG alternative. I never had a problem with it and I've always been plenty fast. If reaching way out towards the end of my forehand will make me FASTER though, I'd sure consider it! I don't like the 3-Gun C-grip though. It just feels weird as shit to me. But...if I put my VFG WAY out there at the end, I get the same benefit. So, what if I go with a low-profile gas block with a flip-down front sight? I can put longer railed forearms on and move the VFG closer to the muzzle. If the head of my SF light is below the flash suppressor, it shouldn't be a problem, as long as it's not PAST the end of the muzzle...I think.

So, I'm thinking along the lines of a less expensive VFG and a Scout-Light type set-up out past the end of the traditional forends...

The whole thing will be camouflaged. I'm looking at some of the different DuraCoat-type finishes, but I've always just used the Krylon treatment in the past. I'll probably stick with that, since I'm a cheap bastard at heart.

Of course, then I've got to find a way to carry more ammunition! I've always liked the real basic chest carriers for active shooter response like one I had from Eagle Industries at one time. I'll probably go with something like that, or buy a MOLLE compatible chest harness and add mag pouches where I want them. Then I can mount my Cold Steel Safemaker push-knife on it too and carry pistol mags as well. I might mount an additional BOK on it too.

Now, all I have to do is get the shit together before going back to the mountains! (Well...and find a new M1911A1 milspec!)

No comments:

Post a Comment